The following post is current as of May 1, 2020.
Community Outreach Manager
Commonwealth Consultants, a Top 20 PR Firm and the leading community outreach firm for public works, transportation and development clients in Virginia, Maryland and Washington, DC, is seeking a Community Outreach Manager to work onsite in Washington for one of its most prestigious clients.
The Community Outreach Manager will serve as one of two Public Outreach Area Leads on the DC Clean Rivers Northeast Boundary Tunnel Project, a major construction project. The Manager is responsible for public relations support with stakeholders and in the neighborhoods impacted by the construction of the DC Clean Rivers Northeast Boundary Tunnel. The Outreach Manager will work at the construction site and travel to meet with stakeholders.
The Outreach Manager shall have a minimum of five (5) years of direct experience in community outreach/public relations within the District of Columbia or suburban Maryland or Virginia.
Duties shall include helping implement an approved public information plan for the project outlined by client. This outreach effort should deliver on client goals while aligning with the company’s mission, vision and values.
Responsibilities and Duties
Including but not limited to:
- Understanding citizen concerns with the project to mitigate construction impacts to residents and other stakeholders
- Delivering presentations to local stakeholders, including government, citizens, businesses, and others
- Conducting media relations. Preparing and distributing press releases, statements and other supporting materials to media outlets.
- Presenting information at local meetings: Advisory Neighborhood Commission and other neighborhood association meetings, forums, etc.
- Developing and implementing plans, schedules, submittals and other documents to comply with owner’s outreach requirements
- Providing content for DC Water’s communications team
- Providing and updating Public Relations Plan document to organize and schedule design-builder performance
- Assisting with the development and management of employees as necessary, training subordinate or other Outreach Area Leads
- Other duties as assigned
- Carrying out job duties while maintaining Commonwealth Consultants’ values.
- Minimum of five (5) years of direct experience in public relations/community outreach within the District of Columbia or suburban Maryland or Virginia.
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- Experience understanding and working to mitigate construction impacts preferred
- Preference will be given to those with experience interacting face to face with the public and/or leading and presenting at public meetings, committees, or other large diverse groups
- Preference will be given to those candidates with prior local government experience in and around the DC area
- Strong writing skills and superior attention to detail
- Must be able to work some evenings and weekends around client and project stakeholder needs and events
- Proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint